Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Time Warp








Wow... I can't believe that the trip is already behind me. I think about all the emotion, prayer, and planning that went into it the months before and now it is just back to "normal" day to day life. It is kind of hard to sit down and start telling my story. I feel like there is so much that I want to tell you, yet some of it is just hard to describe or explain. As I was driving home this morning, my thought was that only 2 weeks ago, our journey to Africa was just beginning. Now that I am back home it seems like months since I was there. At the same time, when I wake up for a few minutes each day...... I am still there.

I guess I will just start at the beginning to make things easy. The time after Christmas leading up to the trip was pretty hard. I guess Christmas was the hump that I had to get over before the trip seemed to be a reality. Having everything done early probably wasn't such a good idea either. There was a-lot of down time in those 4 days, and it was long! A-lot of thinking time, and just trying to soak up every moment.

It was the night before. I couldn't believe it was finally here. I was able to tuck my sweet boys into bed without completely falling apart, so I knew God was already working...lol. I was actually able to get some sleep too, which was amazing. I woke up excited and ready to go. A good friend took me to the airport so Richard wouldn't have to wake the boys so early (we had to be at the airport by 6 a.m.). Once there, things were fine. We headed to D.C. for our all day layover. Our 15 hr. flight to Ethiopia was to leave around 8 that night.

Our biggest moment of worry at the airport was when we saw the dreaded luggage scales at the gate. If you recall, the size of our carry ons was a bit of a concern. We had all pretty much abandoned the 15 lb. rule and said we would risk. it. We tried to convince Jesse to either hide the scale or cut the cords, but he wouldn't give in. Luckily, our carry ons were not weighed, and we didn't have to make a decision on what "neccesity" to leave behind.

I have to say that my first real uncomfortable moment was right before we boarded the plane. There were people crowded around, most very different from us. Probably our first experience with the lack of personal space by people in Africa....there is no "box". It was a little scary thinking that I was fixing to leave behind all things familiar and go half way around the world. No turning back now, it was really time.

I was a little worried about who I would have to spend 15 hrs with on the plane. My seats were nowhere near my travel buddies from church. I ended up sitting beside this sweet lady named Ruby. She was from Ethiopia and was returning after 20 years for a family wedding. We had some great conversation and she was a perfectly fine travel partner.

I was really amazed at how well I did on this flight. It was long, but I made it!! Slept some, listened to my I-pod , watched some movies, watched the young girls from our team entertain the cutest little boy, and oh, yeah...ate. Let me just tell you that these people have no mercy when it comes to meal time. They shake you, raise your seat up, and say time to eat..really?!? This would happen about every 3 or 4 hours. We went from night to day and back to night again too on this flight. That was a little strange.


I wish I had a picture, but as we were flying over Africa and getting close to our destination, God greeted us with the most amazing sunset I have ever seen. It stretched completely across the horizon and was full of amazing reds and oranges. To me, it meant so much. A sign that HE was right there waiting for us in Africa. I tried to keep that in mind as we were approaching Ethiopia. When I looked out the window, I kept looking for the bright lights of the city...not so much. I did finally see some lights, but nothing like you see as you fly into an American city. It was a little strange and did give me a feeling of uneasiness..... welcome to Africa.


We landed in Ethiopia. Thankful for our 1st safe flight across the ocean. The airport there was our first real lesson in patience and just a beginning to what the term "African time" really meant. I was so thankful to be with a group of 30 other people. I would have completely freaked out had I been alone. There was not a lot of rhyme or reason to anything going on there. We had to stand in the longest lines for several hours to get our visas (at least I think that is what we were in line for). Again, no since of personal space and lots of rude people who would just pass or do their own thing. We were definitely in a different world!! Some good time to get to know others in our group, and of course practice the art of compassion and kindness.

We finally got thru the lines, and it was on to get the "bags". Let's just say that by the end of this trip we were happy to not be traveling with 60 black duffel bags. We made it thru with our luggage and then on thru the sea of people in the airport lobby. Our guides from the guest home were there to meet us. As we stepped out of the airport, I got my first wiff of the African air. There is definitely a distinct smell. A sweet wood might be the best way to describe it??

We loaded our luggage onto one bus (yes it took a whole bus just for that) and the team loaded onto another. As we were driving to the guest home, I was looking out the window trying to take it all in. There was nothing pretty or comforting about it. It was dark and only dim lights lined the streets that were filled with randomness. The buildings looked so run down, fences of tin or whatever they could find to make them of, wandering dogs, people here and there, litter scattered about. Oh, my...what was I getting myself into!!

We rang in the New Year on the bus. Not so sure that would have ever been a thought of mine... to be on a bus in the middle of Ethiopia for the New Year. We arrived at the guest home. The tall concrete walls with a gate and razor wire at the top was the first thing I noticed. Once we entered though the home was very nice. They had fixed us a great dinner of some yummy spaghetti (yeah...something I can eat). We went outside for a little bonfire, some confetti, and a toast to officially ring in the New Year...it was really a neat moment. We headed off to bed. The sound of barking dogs and crowing roosters was disturbing, but I was able to get in a short nap. We had to be up in about 3 hours to go back to that dreaded airport.

Uganda here we come!!!












































2 comments:

  1. Love it! You are doing a great job with the desciptions! Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tabby! I have so loved reading all of the Africa blogs. What an amazing experience!!!

    ReplyDelete