Monday, February 8, 2010

The Dumps - Part 1


Alright, so now I remember why I was hesitant to start a blog. It really does take time & effort to keep the thing updated! It has been almost 3 weeks since my last post, and I still have so much I want to tell you about Africa! I am going to change things up a little. I was trying to go day by day, but at this rate, it would take me years to get thru 10 days..lol. I am going to stop and tell you a few of the stories that were so special to me. I have to at least get these out before I give up on this blogging thing :-). I am having a hard time with pics today too, so they will follow. Some of them can speak for themselves anyway.

It was Jan. 7th in Ethiopia which is Christmas Day there (don't ask, it is also 2002??). Our itinerary had said this was the day we were going to work with the kids in the dumps. I am not sure what comes to your mind when you read this, but let me tell you the mental picture I had was all wrong. Mind you, we were nearing the end of our trip. At this point, we had seen some pretty heart breaking things. Some of us said that just when you thought you had seen the worst, you sort of take a punch in the stomach and have to endure a little more.

The excitement was building for Christmas Day. We had heard the day before that we were going to buy 2 sheep to take to the dumps for lunch. Yes, that means take them live, slaughter them there, and cook them over a fire. Remember this is Africa folks..it was all good..lol. We were also going to take bread, cookies, cokes, party hats, some clothes, etc. This was going to be a HUGE treat for these children. We were told that they had never had a "real" meal like that and that no one had ever come in to just celebrate with them or love on them. They are part of a community (Korah) that is pretty much considered lepers. Poorest of the poor and not many seem to care.

We load the bus and head out. Again, not real sure what we were in for? Sammy was one of the guides at the guest home where we stayed. I wish you could all meet Sammy and know just a little of his sweet spirit. I was excited b/c this was a special day for Sammy too. Sammy actually lived in the dumps until he was 12 or 13. A ministry came and gave him the opportunity to get out. He goes back weekly to check on these kids at the dumps and to help the people in his community . You could see and hear his excitement for what this day would mean to him and these kids.

The bus pulled over on the side of the road and I remember looking out the window. As I scan around a little further, it starts to sink in. We are not just at the dumps, but at a HUGE landfill. We get out of the bus and hesitantly went over the first hill of trash. It was hard to even comprehend what we saw. There were literally mountains of trash all around us as far as we could see. It is hard to remember my thoughts at first. I have to admit one of the main ones was probably...don't get sick. The smell was one of the worst I have ever smelled, and let me tell you it was not something you could ignore easily. There were little fires around, so the air was full of smoke and ash in spots. There were random dogs roaming and huge birds. A bulldozer to help move the mountains of trash around. Garbage trucks were pulling up to dump fresh trash. There is no nice way to put it, this place was dirty & nasty. I couldn't look at the details too closely. I just tried to take it all in.


I remember children starting to gather around us as we walked over the hill and further into the dumps. It took me several minutes to stop focusing on our surroundings, and actually make my mind go toward these children. Their clothes were filthy and most very tattered. I knew that they were the reason we were here, and I had to get past the horrific conditions and do something. I saw a group of teenage girls standing around, so I approached them first. They did not speak good English, but I was able to get their names and ages. Fruit, Hannah, and Metki. These girls were 13 & 14 years old. They were smiling and seemed rather happy. Feeling completely helpless in this situation, I didn't really know what to do. I asked them if I could pray for them. They were very receptive. I don't know if they understand me at all, but I know God heard my prayers for these precious girls.


We continued to stand around and just kind of hang out with the children. There were some card tricks going on, hugs, smiles and laughter. It is amazing that regardless of circumstances, kids still just want to be kids. There was a group hanging around the sheep and watching as "preps" for lunch were beginning to take place. They were trying to teach these people as much as they could about preparing the food. The girls helped chop some onions, the boys were helping with the meat. My motion sick oil came in handy as we all lathered it in our noses, still trying in some way to lessen the stench. We all said we came close, but no one in our group of 30 threw up that day. Truly, God had his hand covering us!

We made our way to a covered concrete area where we would cook lunch. I kept an eye on the girls and tried to just hang with them. I had some crayons and coloring sheets in my bag. Not sure how well teenagers would go for this, but I got them out anyway. They loved them! I wrote a note on the back for them to keep, and I have one from them also. I will always treasure those little coloring sheets! We gathered around the fire and the girls even made sure I had a clean piece of cardboard to sit on. Wow... worried about me when they are the ones living in a landfill!!


We sat together and listened to bible stories that one of the ladies from our group told (our guides translated). We sang some songs, and even though communication was limited, had a sweet time together. I have to tell you that for some reason I was drawn to Fruit. All the girls were sweet, but she just stood out to me. She was so beautiful! It broke my heart to think of her or any of these children living in this. We could come & go, but they are here day in and day out. WHY??

Before long lunch was ready and it was such a joy to serve these kids! You could tell that this meal was a real treat for them. One girl even offered me some of her food...again, sweet girl...don't worry about me..just eat. They got their party hats & horns which was a hoot. At one point they were all loudly blowing the horns and just jumping around being happy carefree kids. It was bitter sweet. There was so much joy if you just closed your eyes & listened. But then, you look around and smell that smell and remember....this is their home.


When it was time to go, Alicia and I had Sammy tell Fruit and Hannah to follow us to the bus. We wanted to leave them our shoes. I wish I had taken pictures of their feet. I hesitate to even call what they had on shoes. The were filthy and worn. Their socks were gaping out the huge holes they had in them. I am not even sure if they had on a matching pair? So sad knowing they were not only walking around in mountains trash everyday, but without decent shoes on their feet. Fruit followed me to the bus and I took my shoes off to give her. I remember crying and telling her she was precious and that God had big plans for her life. I got on the bus in my sock feet and realized I didn't just leave my shoes with Fruit, but I was also leaving a little piece of my heart ........

1 comment:

  1. Whew! You got me good with this post, Tabby. I'll give her a hug for you in June!
    ~H

    ReplyDelete