Friday, November 13, 2009

A Backpack?!?!

I am going to start with what has been on my heart this week. As you will find out, there is A-LOT that God is teaching me, and he probably continues to chuckle as he just keeps asking me to step out of my box. If you know me at all, and have been anywhere with me, you would probably agree to say that I "over pack". Just in my nature to be prepared and have a choice if I need it. (I even take a little pride in being known as the one among my friends to have whatever you need either in my purse or car).

When I first signed up for this trip, I began to get a few details about things. One being that we get 2 checked bags which will both be full of stuff for the kids..wonderful, I love that idea! The next thing I read was that our personal items had to go in a 30lb. carry on. Well, alright..this will be really hard, but I think I could do that?? I will have to just shop for some really light weight luggage..lol. Well, I continued to detail search about this trip, b/c details just tend to settle my heart a little sometimes. Looking on the airline website I see this...carry on allowance..15lbs. What? Are you kidding me?? All my stuff for 10 days in Africa in a 15 lb. carry on. Could this be right? It was, the airline just changed their guidelines..of course they did. The young guy leading our trip is like yeah, just a backpack or something should be fine (gotta love how men can pack). They said we might be able to cheat a little on the wgt. and have some room in the checked bags. This was a definitely causing me a little anxiety at first, but the more I thought about it, the more excited I got!!

How blessed am I that I am stressing about putting an inkling of what I have (or think that I need) in a backpack for a trip that is only 10 days long??? I am sure a-lot of people in Africa could place ALL their belongings in a backpack. So what if I am a little grungy for a few days, maybe I won't have all the "comfort" things that I like to have, but you know what..that is more than alright. After all, I get to return home to literally truckloads of stuff, not a backpack full.

So, I usually pack for a weekend trip like I am going to a third world country, but now I will be packing for a third world country like I am going on an overnighter. Oh, gotta love it when he says get out of that box!

3 comments:

  1. I plan on doing some creative packing, and I'm also narrowing down the list of clothes I take. And I guess I don't really need to take 3 Coach purses with me after all:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. And profound! But I have to ask, does Angela know about this back pack thing? Because I'm pretty sure she's planning on taking 15 pounds of flip flops. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. Love that line "I usually pack for a weekend like I'm going to a third world country, and now..."

    YIKES! Maybe I can mail the orphanage a tub of Purell so it'll be there waiting on ya.

    :)

    Cool blog!

    ReplyDelete